Wind Turbine Manufacturer Internationalisation Study
On behalf of a private equity group, Navigator Consulting Group implemented a feasibility study and due diligence for a Ukrainian manufacturer of wind turbines. Based near Kiev, the manufacturer assembles small-scale turbines of 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 KW output, combining these with storage batteries and other components sourced externally.
The objective of the study was to determine the financial potential for expanding international sales. The target markets included France, Greece, Italy, Spain, Cyprus, Portugal and 3 MENA countries: Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt.
The product is intended for household use in rural areas or for small-scale commercial applications in remote areas, e.g. tourism, farming, etc.
The study included the following components:
- Assessment of legal and licensing regimes for micro-power generation of renewable energy using small-scale wind turbines in rural and suburban areas;
- Identification of project financial break-even and return rates taking into account sales of energy to the national grid at prevailing feed-in tariffs, or using the energy generating in place of electricity purchased from power generators;
- Evaluation of market potential per country and development of a sales and financial model with a 5-year time-horizon;
- Planning of start-up and operating costs and additional resources needed for market launch;
- Competitor evaluation, with a particular emphasis on Chinese imports;
- Risk assessment
The project revealed interesting commercial potential; the client has proceeded with strengthening export sales.